Call for Nominations | AMGA Board of Directors Elections
Call for AMGA Board of Directors Nominations
Greetings guides, climbing instructors, and members of the AMGA. Once again this October, we must elect directors to serve on the AMGA Board Of Directors, and we’re calling on each of you to nominate the candidates that will represent your interests, your perspectives, and steer our guides’ association into the future.
If you know someone that has shown leadership in the profession, in the community, or in the industry, your nomination has the potential to seat that member on the ballot for election to the board.
This year, we are electing 5 directors, and your nominations play a vital role in filling the ballot. We are saying farewell and thank you to Sarah Carpenter and Geoff Unger who both served two 3 year terms. Based on the AMGA’s two term limit they are ineligible to run again. 3 members are eligible to run for re-election, Angela Hawse, Matt Shove and Paul Koubek.
You can find a complete list of board members here.
Some Important Things to Know as you Consider Your Nominations
Who can you nominate?
- Your nominee must be at least 18 years old.
How are nominees selected for the ballot?
- Must be at least 18 years old at the time of their election
- Cannot be a full time employee of the AMGA
- All elected directors must, at the time of their election and during their respective terms of office, be able to satisfy standards of independence prescribed in the AMGA’s Conflict of Interest Policy
- Must be nominated by 6 voting members or the Board of Directors
Is your nominee willing to be nominated?
- It’s important to think about the scope of the role for which you are nominating someone. Your nominee will need to run for election, which can be a time-consuming and sometimes disappointing process. If elected, your nominee will need to be able to commit time, resources, and energy to the service of the AMGA for three years. It’s advisable to have a brief conversation with your nominee before you submit your nomination.
How does your nominee help to balance the composition of the board?
The AMGA Board strives to represent a variety of perspectives and seeks candidates to balance composition to further our goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Does your nominee offer a unique skill set or perspective currently or potentially underrepresented on the board? Let us know what awareness they bring.
Some perspectives that the board seeks to add or maintain for balanced composition:
- Marginalized identities and affinity group representation
- Climbing Instructor Program members: SPI or CWI
- American Mountain Guides/IFMGA Guides and certified guides
- Professional education experience
- Outdoor education experience
- Professional DEI experience
- Human resources or management experience
- Geographic representation around the US
Who are voting members and non-voting members, and why does it make a difference?
- The AMGA By-Laws make it clear that all AMGA members can make nominations for the Board of Directors, but the nominations of voting members enable an official nomination. The nominations of non-voting members are generous gestures, and these nominations are welcomed.
- AMGA voting members include all current members in the following categories: Certified CWI’s, Certified SPIs, Certified Rock Instructors, Apprentice Guides (has completed an entry-level guide track program-Alpine Skills Course, Alpine Guide Course, Rock Guide Course, Ski Guide Course, Ice Instructor Course), Assistant Guides (has completed an aspirant exam/advanced level program), Aspirant Guides (has successfully passed all 3 Aspirant exams), Certified Guides (has obtained a certification in 1 or 2 of the Ski, Rock, or Alpine disciplines), and IFMGA via AMGA, IFMGA via Reciprocal.
How do I make a nomination?
- To make a nomination, simply submit this form. Or, you can email the AMGA Executive Director, Alex Kosseff.
What is the deadline for nominations?
- All nominations are due by midnight on August 10th. We’ll send out another call for nominations on that day, in case you forget
What happens after the nominations process is complete?
After your nominations are made, we will interview nominees to confirm their desire and eligibility. We will ask them to submit required application materials, and we will announce the candidates and elections. You can anticipate the following timeline:
- August 10th: Deadline for nominations.
- September 14th: Announcement of candidates.
- September 16th: Candidate webinar and Q&A.
- September 17th: Electronic voting opens.
- October 5th: Electronic voting closes.
- October 12th: Results announced.
- October 25th: New director seated on the board.
What if I have more questions?
- If you have questions about the current board, BOD election rules and procedures, or voting members and non-voting members, it’s best to browse the member documents on your mydev.amga.com member portal and the AMGA website. If you can’t find the answers you are looking for, please reach out to any member of the Nominations Committee.
Those committee members are: