AMGA Alpine Guide
The Alpine Guide Certification is designed for people who guide glaciated and non-glaciated peaks, approaches and climbs, with no limitation with respect to season and elevation. It includes rock climbs, peak ascents, waterfall ice climbs, and expeditionary climbing. The alpine program progression will help you fine-tune your skills in alpine snow, mixed, waterfall ice, and glaciated terrain.
To enter the program you must first successfully complete the Rock Guide Course or the Alpine Skills Course, depending on if you are pursuing IFMGA certification or Alpine Guide certification only, and meet all the prerequisites for the Alpine Guide Course. As well, you must have a solid experience base and knowledge of technical mountain travel.
To get your Alpine Guide Certification, you must complete:
- The 10-day Rock Guide Course (RGC) or the 5-day Alpine Skills Course (ASC). If you are pursuing IFMGA certification you will want to take the RGC.
- The 9-day Alpine Guide Course (AGC)
- The 5-day Ice Instructor Course (IIC)
- The 9-day Advanced Alpine Guide Course and Aspirant Exam (AAGC/AE)
- The 9-day Alpine Guide Exam (AGE)
- Successful completion of an [simple_tooltip content=’
- AAI, AIARE, SAS Pro 2
- CAA Level II
- AAA Level III Certification from 2010 or later
- AIARE Level III Certification from 2006 or later’]AMGA approved Pro 2, or Level III[/simple_tooltip]
- For details on the updated avalanche education framework introduced in the 2017/18 season, please click here.
- Current CPR Certification
- Current Wilderness First Responder (WFR) Certification [simple_tooltip content=’Higher training needs to be approved by the AMGA Medical Director – examples of acceptable training include: Emergency Medical Technician or Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician’] or higher[/simple_tooltip] that meets the Minimum Guidelines and Scope of Practice for a WFR
Although this is a demanding program, it opens up tremendous opportunities for you as a professional guide.
[accplus id=”442″] [/accplus]
Alpine Programs Schedule
- 2022 Application and Notification Deadlines are below
- For information on how to apply to a program and how applications are reviewed, click here
- For the complete AMGA Course Schedule, click here
[upcoming_programs type=”40,17,24,48,13,18″ collapse=”true”]
Application and Notification Deadlines
- The application deadline is when your complete application is due.
- The notification deadline is the latest date you will be contacted in regard to your enrollment.
- Applications received after the application deadline will be reviewed on a rolling admission.
[table id=68 responsive=”phone” /]